Green beans have come into season here! They are all over the markets. I have been saving up this recipe until they arrived and now we have so many of them we are overflowing. I love this recipe as it stills delivers a bit hit of crisp green bean but accents it with summer yummies, such a sheep cheese, olives, fresh dill and a hint of mustard. If you want to make this vegan just skip out on the cheese, you can always tweak this recipe until it suits your family!
Sometimes in the summer it’s just too hot to cook, one of my favorite alternatives is marinating veggies and then eating them. This recipe does require steaming the green beans but it barely heats up your kitchen. Make these the night before if you can and let them marinate, they are so much better. But if you are in a hurry they are pretty tasty right away!
Swiss Green Beans
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, cleaned, trimmed, and snapped into pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp dried tarragon
- 1 tbs fresh dill
- 1/2 ts salt
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 tsp wasabi mustard or dijon
- 1/2 cup minced fresh parlsey
- 1/3 lb cheese (swiss, manchego, or other hard cheese) diced
- 1/2 cup chopped ripe olives
- 2 small bell peppers sliced
- 4 tbs fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbs red wine or basalmic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped and toasted almonds
Combine everything except the lemon juice, vinegar, and almonds in a large bowl. Add the drained beans to the bowl. Mix everything well and then cover tightly and refrigerate 3 hours to overnight. Add the lemon juice, vinegar, and almonds and serve right away. If you aren’t marinating just go ahead and add the last three ingredients with the rest, serve, and enjoy! That’s it, now go and give it a try!